Varsity Boys Soccer (8-0)
The Marquette varsity boys soccer team made another trip downstate on Saturday, 8/28/21, to participate in the Saginaw Heritage Showcase. The event included 12 total teams and afforded each school three games on the day. MSHS continued its undefeated streak to start the season and took all three games in shutout fashion.
Game 1: Marquette 3, Freeland 0
- In the day’s first game, Marquette faced Freeland and won 3-0. All three MSHS goals were scored in the first half – junior Max Dawson assisted by senior Owen Goymerac, Dawson from senior Axel Vermaat, and junior Isaac Johnson from a senior John Weber corner kick. Senior Harrison Anthos tended net facing 5 shots.
Game 2: Marquette 6, Chesaning 0
- In game two, Marquette faced Chesaning and won 6-0. First half goals came from senior Hayden Byma on a penalty kick, Dawson from Vermaat and sophomore Ethan Sandstrom, and Vermaat from freshman Kaleb Chipelewski. In the second half Pickard had an unassisted goal followed by a Dawson goal from Vermaat and then Pickard on a free kick. Anthos faced 1 shot in net.
Game 3: Marquette 6, Swartz Creek 0
- In the final game of the event, Marquette beat Swartz Creek with another 6-0 score. First half goals came from Pickard from junior Lamb Ngafeeson, junior Evan Sysko from Johnson, Pickard from Ngafeeson, and another Byma penalty kick. Second half goals came from Sysko from Dawson then Byma from a Weber corner kick. Anthos did not face any shots in net.
From MSHS Head Coach, Dan Salmon:
- “Over the last few days we have been working hard with the defense after giving up a few goals and we challenged them this weekend. They came up big not allowing any goals and the likes of Owen Goymerac and Hunter Sandstrom really stepped up.”
- Varsity boys soccer returns home this week when they will host Iron Mountain on Thursday, 9/2/21, for a 5:30 p.m. game at the Kaufman Sports Complex.