Varsity Boys Soccer (11-0)
Marquette 8, Sault Ste. Marie 1
The MSHS Varsity Boys Soccer team hosted Sault Ste Marie on Thursday evening at the Kaufman Sports Complex for a weekday match between Upper Peninsula teams.
Marquette got on the board first with a Max Dawson goal that was assisted by John Weber. Senior Harrison Anthos faced eight shots in the first half net duties for a 1-0 lead.
From there, MSHS tallied seven second half goals and gave up one for an 8-1 final margin. Marquette’s second half goal scorers included:
- Ethan Sandstrom (from Dawson and Enzo Stabile)
- Ezra Pickard (from Kaleb Chipelewski)
- Sandstrom (from off of an Axel Vermaat corner kick)
- Stabile (from a Vermaat free kick)
- Isaac Johnson (from Chipelewski and Lamb Ngafeeson)
- Evan Sysko (from Dawson)
- Chipelewski (from Ngafeeson)
Anthos faced three additional shots in the second half to make 11 total saves in the game.
From MSHS Head Coach, Dan Salmon:
- “We came out slow and sluggish to start the game. We really were not playing our kind of soccer and we corrected things at halftime. We were happy with our goal distribution once we started playing our soccer. Seven different goal scorers on eight goals shows it was a true team effort in the second half”
- The JV and Varsity Boys Soccer teams will remain at home this weekend to each host Houghton High School on Saturday, 9/11/21, at the Kaufman Sports Complex. The JV contest will begin at 11:00 a.m., followed by the Varsity match-up at 12:30 p.m.