Varsity Boys Soccer (17-2)
The MSHS Varsity Boys Soccer team traveled to Alpena on Saturday, 9/25/21, to compete in the Huron Shores Invitational showcase hosted by Alpena High School. Other participating schools included Alpena, Cheboygan, Ogemaw Heights, Graying, Tawas, Sault Ste. Marie and Traverse City Christian.
Game 1 – Quarterfinal: Marquette 8, Tawas 0
- In game one, Marquette faced off against Tawas and opened up a 6-0 first half lead. Goal scorers included Evan Sysko from Axel Vermaat and Max Dawson, Dawson from Sysko, Dawson from Vermaat, Ezra Pickard from Isaac Johnson and Hayden Byma, Pickard from John Weber, and Pickard from Byma.
- Second half goal scorers were Kaleb Chipelewski from Pickard and Ayden Beaudry and Max Holdwick from Chipelewski.
- MSHS Goalkeeper Harrison Anthos did not face a single shot in net.
Game 2 – Semifinal: Marquette 1, Traverse City Christian 1 (MSHS Wins Shootout 5-4)
- The second game of the day was a much more tightly contested battle with Traverse City Christian. Marquette jumped out to a 1-0 first half lead on a Ezra Pickard goal from Nick Lindberg.
- Traverse City Christian tied the game in the second half which led to a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation.
- A five-player shootout overtime session ensued with Marquette converting all five kicks. Hayden Byma, Axel Vermaat, Max Dawson, Indigo Catalano, and Pickard were the goal scorers while Harrison Anthos made a stop on TC Christian’s third kicker.
Game 3 – Championship: Marquette 1, Ogemaw Heights 3
- In the championship game, Marquette jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a Max Dawson goal from Lamb Ngafeeson.
- A red card was issued to MSHS moments later to force Marquette play short a player for the remainder of the contest.
- Shortly before the end of the first half, Ogemaw Heights was awarded a penalty kick which they converted for a 1-1 halftime score.
- In the second half, Ogemaw Heights was able to score two more goals to seal a 3-1 win.
From MSHS Head Coach, Dan Salmon:
- “I was really proud of our players for getting another shoot out win on the season in game two but especially for not giving up in the championship game. Even down a player early we had a few really good chances to get back in the game in the second half. Ezra Pickard had a really great tournament as did Hayden Byma.”
- The Varsity Boys Soccer team next travels to Houghton on Saturday, 10/2/21 for a 2:00 p.m. game against the host Gremlins.