The MSHS office will be closing today at 11 am. If you need assistance or are turning in athletics paperwork, please call 225-5421. The athletics office will be open until 3 pm today.
Varsity Boys Soccer (9-0-1)
Marquette 7, Houghton 0
On Saturday (10/17/20), Marquette faced Houghton in the only game of the U.P. Championships. Kingsford and Iron Mountain were unable to participate in the event as a result of the switch to virtual learning for schools in Dickinson County. The game was played on a frost covered field in the snow in Marquette.
Senior Connor Johnson got the scoring started with an assist credited to junior Nick Lindberg. Sophomore Max Dawson scored the first of his three goals off an assist from sophomore Nick Asmus. First half scoring then wrapped up with a goal from Lindberg which was assisted by Johnson. Senior Liam Jeevar faced two shots in net.
In the second half, Marquette continued rolling with another Max Dawson goal assisted by Asmus. Sophomore Ezra Pikard scored an unassisted goal from a corner kick to make it 5-0. The sixth goal came from Johnson assisted by Dawson and then Dawson finished the scoring with an assist going to junior Zane Phillips. Jeevar faced one shot in net in the second half.
The win capped an undefeated season for MSHS, which went 9-0-1 and outscored their opponents 63-4 during the campaign. The win marks the 13th straight U.P. Championship for Marquette.
From Head Coach Dan Salmon:
“We build our team around our defense and our primary goal is to not get scored on. With that in place and working, the offense came to life and put a lot of goals in this year. It made for a great winning combination and it shows. With the uncertain season as it unfolded and games being canceled, we were just happy to make it to the end as a healthy group and still be playing games“
The MSHS Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams hosted the Great Northern Conference Championships on Thursday afternoon at Presque Isle Park in Marquette.
Girls Team Scores (click here for PDF):
- Marquette – 27
- Kingsford – 65
- Menominee – 71
- Gladstone – 72
- Escanaba– No Team Score
Top 15 Finishers:
- Olivia Moffitt – Marquette – 21:11
- Sarah Kulas – Kingsford – 21:29
- Hayden Buck – Menominee – 21:52
- Attica Brandt – Menominee – 21:57
- Lillian Weycher – Marquette – 22:18
- Guinn Wuorinen – Marquette – 22:21
- Anna Grzelak – Marquette – 22:41
- Jordann Stephenson – Marquette – 22:45
- Ella Whalen – Marquette – 22:50
- Morgan Makosky – Escanaba – 22:54
- Gabby Carey – Kingsford – 22:56
- Samantha Strasler – Gladstone – 23:01
- Elodie Mahlerbe – Marquette – 23:15
- Ciara Ostrenga – Escanaba – 23:23
- Kayla Farnes – Gladstone – 23:59
In the Girls Junior Varsity Race, Marquette’s Addie Ollila took first place with a time of 23:57. Click here for full results from the Girls Junior Varsity Race.
The MSHS Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams traveled to Gladstone on Monday afternoon to compete in the Gladstone Barnyard Invitational.
Boys Team Scores (click here for PDF):
- Marquette – 21
- Gladstone – 47
- Menominee – 105
- Rapid River – 143
- Munising – 143
- Stephenson – 146
- Norway – 178
- Manistique – 188
- North Central – 223
- Kingsford – No Team Score
Top 15 Finishers:
- Carson Vanderschaaf – Marquette – 17:25
- Drew Hughes – Gladstone – 17:30
- Luke Janofski – Marquette – 17:46
- Lincoln Sager – Marquette – 17:59
- Giovanni Mathews – Gladstone – 18:11
- Colin Vanderschaaf – Marquette – 18:37
- Cully Papin – Marquette – 18:39
- Ismael Hernandez – Rapid River – 18:40
- Brady Ketzenberger – Marquette – 18:41
- Lucas Hughes – Gladstone – 18:47
- Peyton Osborne – Marquette – 19:02
- Blake Krouth – Gladstone – 19:12
- Nick Singer – Munising – 19:31
- Landen Clausen – Menominee – 19:33
- Nick Sandahl – Menominee – 19:50
In the Boys Junior Varsity Race, Marquette’s Cadin Cahill took first place with a time of 19:11. Click here for full results from the Boys Junior Varsity Race.
On Monday, the MSHS Varsity Girls Tennis Team competed in the Division 1 U.P. Finals Meet. The event was hosted by Negaunee High School.
Final Results (By Bracket):
- 1 Singles – Campbell Kallio
- 2 Singles – Haddie Ketzenberger
- 3 Singles – Ruth Hummell
- 4 Singles – Julianna Golisek
- 1 Doubles – Zoey Brian – Bre Sandstrom
- 2 Doubles – Alyson LaBelle – Hannah Young
- 3 Doubles – Eliina Brazeau – Kaia Miller
- 4 Doubles – Nistha Gautam – Sam Heikkila
MSHS Dance Team tryouts for the 2020-21 season will be held August 10-12 from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. on the MSHS Football Field.
Please note that all participating student-athletes must wear a mask to arrive at the facility and go through the pre-screening process. Once through the pre-screening process and socially distanced, student-athletes will be permitted to remove their masks prior to the start of activity. In addition, student-athletes will want to bring their own water for use during activity.
Students must have a valid physical form on file in order to participate. If using a valid physical form from the 2019-20 academic year, students must submit the MHSAA Sports Health Questionnaire. An explanation of the physical exam requirement for the 2020-21 academic year can be found at this link.
Tryout Dates and Times:
- Monday, August 10 – 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 11 – 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 12 (Final Assessments) – dancers will have an assigned time between 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Questions regarding tryouts can be directed to Alicia Beauchamp, Dance Team Head Coach, at email@example.com.
The MSHS Athletic Department, with collaboration from the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA), has released its Return to Activity Plan for the 2020 Fall Sports Season. The plan includes details on the protocol for suspected/confirmed cases of COVID-19, precautionary measures for practices/competitions, required training for coaches and athletics staff, as well as established start dates for the fall sports seasons.
Also included in the Return to Activity Plan is that MSHS athletics teams will be altering its competition schedules for the Fall 2020 regular season to only compete against schools residing in the Upper Peninsula. This change in scheduling is based on the safety of the individuals involved and our ability to minimize the risk of exposing our constituents (students, staff, fans, etc.) to COVID-19. A decision on post-season competition will be made at a later date when more information on the potential risk of COVID-19 exposure at those events is known.
While procedures and guidelines will continue to evolve, the Return to Activity Plan represents a sound starting point to resume extracurricular activity in the safest manner possible and assist MAPS as plans to return to school continue to be formed.
Fall Sports Overview:
|Sport||First Practice Date||First Competition Date|
|Cheer (Fall Sideline)||August 10||N/A|
|Cross Country||August 12||August 21|
|Dance Team||August 10||N/A|
|Football||August 10 - helmets only; August 17 - full equipment||August 27 (unless notified of altered timeline)|
|Boys Soccer||August 12||August 24 (unless notified of altered timeline)|
|Girls Tennis||August 12||August 19|
|Volleyball||August 12||August 24 (unless notified of altered timeline)|
Resources for the 2020 Fall Sports Season:
The MSHS Wrestling Team again played host to the U.P. Championships on Saturday (1/25/20). With 17 total teams competing in the meet, Marquette had an impressive outing with 10 total medalists on the day and four student-athletes qualifying for the event finals that took place on Saturday evening.
Top 10 Team Scores:
- Escanaba – 209.0
- Marquette – 179.0
- Gladstone – 156.5
- Iron Mountain – 110.0
- Negaunee – 101.0
- Westwood – 98.0
- Newberry – 96.5
- Kingsford – 89.0
- Ishpeming – 87.5
- Rudyard – 85.0
- Joe Lagrou – U.P. Champion, 1st Place (119)
- Payton Holmstrom – 2nd Place (112)
- Wyatt Kuhlman – 2nd Place (140)
- Chris Ricker – 2nd Place (285)
- Lars Anderson – 4th Place (103)
- Brendon Bell – 5th Place (215)
- Shawn Mahan – 5th Place (189)
- Griffin Moore – 5th Place (145)
- Luke Mead – 6th Place (135)
- Desmond Mullen – 6th Place (152)
The team will be back in action next weekend (January 31-February 1), when they travel to Gaylord to participate in the Northern Michigan Championships.