MSHS seniors Zoe Smith (girls basketball, girls golf) and Axel Vermaat (boys soccer, boys basketball) have been named as the recipients of the First Bank Outstanding Scholar-Athletes for the 2021-22 academic year.
Thank you to First Bank for their continued support of MSHS and its student-athletes through this award.
Selection criteria for the First Bank Outstanding Scholar-Athlete Award are:
- Academic excellence based on cumulative GPA, academic honors received and class standing.
- Athletic performance and accolades with students having earned a minimum of four varsity letters. In addition, honorees must have earned varsity letters in at least two sports.
- Extracurricular involvement in MSHS clubs/organizations as well as a demonstrated commitment to community service.
Zoe Smith participates in the MSHS Girls Basketball and Girls Golf programs. She holds a 3.97 cumulative GPA.
Smith’s 2021-22 Involvement and Achievements:
- Girls Basketball: BCAM “Outstanding Senior Student-Athlete” Award, All-Great Northern Conference Second Team
- Girls Golf: All-U.P. Second Team; All-Great Northern Conference First Team
- Additional Extracurricular Involvement: Student Council Vice President; National Honor Society
- Other Accomplishments: Herman E. Olson Citizenship Kaufman Award; Local Scholarship; Kiwanis “Athlete of the Month” – January
- Post-Graduation Plans: Attend Grand Valley State University and study business and marketing
Axel Vermaat participates in the MSHS Boys Soccer and Boys Basketball programs. He owns a cumulative GPA of 4.37.
Vermaat’s 2021-22 Involvement and Achievements:
- Boys Soccer: Team Captain; Led Team in Assists (18); Third in Goals (10); helped team to 14th consecutive U.P. Championship (21-2 record)
- Boys Basketball: Started at guard in all 21 games in the 2021-22 season
- Additional Extracurricular Involvement: National Honor Society Treasurer; Student Council; Disc Golf Club; Ping Pong Club; Sierra Club Student Coalition
- Other Accomplishments: 2021-22 Academic Kaufman Award; Excellence in Education Scholarship; Local Scholarship; Elks State Scholarship; AP Scholar with Distinction; Kiwanis “Athlete of the Month” – October
- Post-Graduation Plans: Attend college and pursue a career as an economist or politician.