Two MSHS Football student-athletes signed their respective commitments to attend Michigan Tech University to compete as members of the Huskies Football program during a signing ceremony that took place from the REDspn Studio at MSHS today (February 1).
Family members, friends, coaches and staff were on-hand as both Nate Benninger (Senior; Running Back/Safety) and Peter Closner (Senior; Running Back/Linebacker) celebrated their recent decisions to attend MTU and play football at the college level.
Benninger and Closner each have two years of experience on the MSHS Varsity Football Team with each having excelled at their respective positions on the field as well as in the classroom. In addition to their individual statistics and accolades listed below, both student-athletes were members of the 2021 team that captured the Great Northern Conference (GNC) Championship and earned a berth in the MHSAA Division 3 Playoffs.
Nate Benninger – Senior – Running Back/Safety
- Benninger’s season statistics (offensive): 29 catches, 182 yards, 2 touchdowns
- Career Accolades: 2021 All-U.P. Honorable Mention, 2021 All-Great Northern Conference First Team
- Planned Area of Study at MTU: Exercise Science
- Why Nate Chose MTU: “I chose to continue my education at Michigan Tech University because of the distinguished school and football program. Coach Mettlach being announced as the head coach this year made Michigan Tech an easy decision, as I connected with him immediately. MTU has excellent academics and a great Exercise Science program, which is the degree I will pursue. Many of my former teammates are currently playing at MTU, and I am thrilled to be able to play with them again. I am beyond excited and grateful to continue my academic and athletic career at Michigan Tech! Go Huskies!“
Peter Closner – Senior – Tight End/Linebacker
- Closner’s season statistics (defensive): 105 tackles, 9 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries, 3 blocked punts
- Closner’s season statistics (offensive): 27 catches, 340 yards, 8 touchdowns
- Career Accolades: 2021 All-State First Team, 2021 U.P. Defensive Player of the Year, 2021 All-U.P. “Dream Team”, 2021 Great Northern Conference Defensive Player of the Year and 2021 All-Great Northern Conference First Team
- Planned Area of Study at MTU: Engineering
- Why Peter Chose MTU: “I chose to further my football and educational career at MTU because I instantly felt at home in the coaching program. I think the program has taken step in the right direction with head coach Dan Mettlach stepping in this year. I’m excited to see what type of program I can contribute to building in the next four years. MTU also has a great engineering program which I will choose to study in my following years as it is a great career decision as well. Very excited to get to work, GO HUSKIES!”