The 2022 All-Upper Peninsula Football Awards were published today (November 21) and MSHS had three of its football student-athletes listed among the honorees announced by the Upper Peninsula Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association.
Senior Peter Closner highlighted the list of MSHS honorees when he was selected as the U.P.’s “Defensive Player of the Year”, in addition to earning a spot on the All-U.P. “Dream Team” as a linebacker. Closner, who was also named as the Defensive Player of the Year in the Great Northern Conference (GNC), was a force for MSHS both as a linebacker and as a tight end.
- Closner’s season statistics (defensive): 105 tackles, 9 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries, 3 blocked punts
- Closner’s season statistics (offensive): 27 catches, 340 yards, 8 touchdowns
- Coach Mason on Peter Closner: “Peter is an exceptional leader! He is long and gifted athletically, and works hard both on and off the field. He is just starting to scratch the surface in terms of his potential and will be a player to look for at the next level.”
Junior Dasan Smith earned a spot on the All-U.P. “Dream Team” as an offensive tackle. Smith also was named as the GNC’s “Lineman of the Year.
- Coach Mason on Dasan Smith: “Dasan has the potential to be one of the best lineman we have had in Marquette for some time. He is a great combination of size, strength and tenacity. He always plays to the whistle and has a great motor. As good of a football player as he is, he is an even better young man! I expect big things from Dasan next year!”
Senior Nate Benninger earned All-U.P. Honorable Mention honors as a wide receiver. This comes after earning All-GNC first team honors at the same position.
- Benninger’s season statistics (offensive): 29 catches, 182 yards, 2 touchdowns
- Coach Mason on Nate Benninger: “Nate is one of the hardest working young men I have had. Great team leader and a player that others gravitated towards. He is very gifted athletically, won’t be outworked, and understands the mental part of the game. He is a solid player that I expect to see playing on Saturdays.”
2022 All-U.P. Football Press Releases: